Monday, January 28, 2013

Far Away


Disclaimer: The song Far Away belongs to Nickelback. You can listen to it HERE. :)

Virat stood in the empty home where he once lived happily with his love for three years. Though he had broken up with her two years ago, he had never really gotten over her, never actually moved on. He never had had the heart to sell this place that held the memories of his once perfect life, tarnished by his own deed.


Telling her to wait if she could, he had left her at this very spot. The look of devastation on her face had always haunted him. He could see the dust motes floating in the light that filtered through the stained glass windows that Nina had herself painted. If only he could go back...


This time, this place,

Misused, mistakes,

Too long, too late,
Who was I to make you wait...

After hours of frantic phone calls to umpteen people, he had finally found out where she currently lived. He got no information about her personal life, though, and, the suspense was killing him. Would she have waited for him?

A two-hour flight later, he was at her door, ready to go on his knees and grovel to take him back. He took a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

Just one chance,
Just one breath,
Just in case,
There's just one left...

It was Nina who opened the door. She was still charming. He was still smitten. It was like the last two years had never happened. Nina's beaming smile faded as she stared at Virat, her eyes wide and unbelieving.

"I've come back for you," he told her simply.

"Why now?" she asked, still shocked. Her eyes roaming over his body, her heart trying to know how he was, how he had been.

'Cause you know,
You know, you know,
That I love you,
I have loved you all along,
And I miss you,
Been far away for far too long...

"Two years, Virat! You realized all this now?"

They were in the living room, Nina's elder sister hovering in the kitchen, trying to overhear their conversation surreptitiously.

"I am so sorry. Believe me, I've been meaning to come since a long time." he began, his head bowed, "But, I wasn't sure if you'd take me back." he said, looking intently into her eyes now.

"So you're sure now? How presumptuous!" she was indignant.

"No... I just couldn't live anymore without you. I had to see you once, even if... even if it's the last time." he uttered the last few words softly, as though fearing they might come true.

I keep dreaming you'll be with me,
And you'll never go,
Stop breathing if,
I don't see you anymore...

"Please forgive me, Nina?" he asked, on his knees, holding her hand, his eyes earnest, "I promise I'll make it up to you! And, I'll make it all alright. I won't hurt you, ever. Just one last chance?"

On my knees, I'll ask,
Last chance for one last dance,
'Cause with you, I'd withstand,
All of hell to hold your hand...

"I was foolish! What is success without anyone to share it with? I shouldn't have left you to pursue my dreams for you too were a part of my dream life. And, I know I was a part of yours too. I'll give up everything for you! Please take me back?"

I'd give it all,
I'd give for us,
Give anything, but I won't give up...

"It was the biggest mistake of my life. I've been away for too long. I just can't do it anymore." his hands were clutching hers tightly, his forehead touching her fingers.

'Cause you know,
You know, you know,
So far away,
Been far away for far too long,
So far away,
Been far away for far too long...

"I love you. I always have..." he said, softly kissing her hands.

"What do you want now, Virat?" she asked, considerably mellowed.

"You." he said.

But you know,
You know, you know,
I wanted,
I wanted you to stay,
'Cause I needed,
I need to hear you say,
That, 'I love you,
I have loved you all along,
And I forgive you,
For being away for far too long,
So keep breathing,
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore,
Believe it,
Hold on to me and, never let me go...'

"Virat," she said, gently pulling her hands away from his grasp.

He was looking at his empty hands, sad when felt her right hand on his left cheek, stroking it lovingly. His eyes flew to hers.

"I love you. I always have. I never left you, I never will." her forehead touched his, mixed tears of happiness and past pain trailed down her cheeks.

He embraced her tightly, kissing her hands, her head, her forehead before finally capturing her lips in a fierce kiss.

'Keep breathing,
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore,
Believe it...
Hold on to me and, never let me go,
Keep breathing,
Hold on to me and, never let me go
Keep breathing
Hold on to me and, never let me go...'